Sunday, January 6, 2013

Special Delivery

I am often asked about my job and the types of calls I get. I have to be honest, I don't remember most of them. However, there are the few exceptions that stay with you forever. There is one such call that I don't think I will ever forget.

It was Christmas day about ten years ago. I was still a call taker at the time and incoming calls were far and few between. My co workers and I were sitting around chatting about Christmas plans later that day. There were the typical morning calls that we all get on holidays, custodial exchange, burglaries, and of course the average familial domestic.

My line rang and I knew immediately by the frantic voice of the male caller that something was wrong. He was excited and obviously scared, but fairly calm. This young man proceeded to tell me that his wife was in labor and there was no way they were going to make it to the hospital that was still at least ten miles away. They decided to pull off the highway and call 911. Her contractions were coming one right after the other and she needed to push. As I started medical and police units to the soon to be parents, I told the dad how to help his wife and baby. After just a couple good pushes, the new baby was born. I listened to hear that first cry and there was nothing. I asked the new father if the baby was breathing. It wasn't. I quickly told him how to breathe for his new baby. It wasn't too much longer that we heard what we were waiting for. That first cry!! What a sound! What an experience! We quickly made sure that mom and their new SON was warm and comfortable. I stayed on the phone with the proud parents until the first medical units arrived.

It was no surprise to hear that the story was picked up later that day by the media. I found out from the news story that the new father was a local officer and EMT. That was a surprise!

It was a great experience that I will never forget!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful pick-me-up today! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete